This week is a holiday week with no class for Jorge Cruise’s 12 Week Belly Fat Cure coaching program due to the Thanksgiving Day holiday. Some of the folks in the 12 week coaching program have elected to use the “free” week as an opportunity to present a recipe exchange on our respective blogs and I was invited to participate in the exchange.
Rather than give my Sugar Free Nanaimo Bars recipe yet another time, I thought maybe I’ll take a crack at something new. Even though my Sugar Free Nanaimo Bars are arguably the most amazing dessert creation I’ve ever made, I’ve posted it several times here on my blog. And since I find desserts to be next to impossible to get Belly Fat Cure compliant versions in a store bought form, I will offer a dessert recipe. Sugar Free entrées and side dishes aren’t so difficult to find and since I don’t consider myself a cook, I usually just get store bought versions of those.
I didn’t have time to try out a completely new recipe so I decided to do a variation on one of the other recipes I’ve made before. Previously I did an Almost Sugar Free Black Forest Cake which was a layered cake, and only sugar in it was from the cherries I made the filling with. Also I did a Single Layer Yellow Cake With Chocolate Frosting which was basically a quick recipe to throw together that just allowed me to bake it, frost it and go. So I thought maybe I’ll try another layer cake and this time to make sure it stays completely sugar free I’m going to use Nature’s Hollow, Sugar Free Mountain Berry Preserves as my filling layer. And since the Yellow cake and chocolate frosting are less complicated than the Black Forest cake recipe, that’s the one I decided to go with.
The Nature’s Hollow Sugar Free Mountain Berry Preserves are incredible tasting and make a really wonderful filling. The Mountain Berry Preserves are made with raspberries, strawberries, blackberries, and blueberries and sweetened with Xylitol. You may want to check your local Whole Foods Market store or a local natural foods market, such as Henry’s Marketplace here in San Diego county to get some or you can order some directly from Probst Farms, the makers of Nature’s Hollow Sugar Free line of products.
Without further ado, I’m pleased to present my Sugar Free Yellow Layer Cake With Mountain Berry Filling And Chocolate Frosting as my contribution to the Belly Fat Cure 12 Week Coaching Program Bloggers participating in what we’re calling the “TDAY Recipe Exchange.” Below the recipe I am including blog links to the other participants in the recipe exchange.
Cake Ingredients: Frosting Ingredients: Mountain Berry Filling Ingredients: Cake Instructions: Frosting Instructions: Cake Assembly Instructions:
Sugar Free Yellow Layer Cake With Mountain Berry Filling And Chocolate Frosting
2 Cups Whole Grain Flour
2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
1/2 Teaspoon Sea Salt
1/2 Cup Butter, Softened
1 Cup Xylitol
3 Large Eggs, room temperature
2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
3/4 Cup Unsweetened Almond Milk
Note: Frosting Recipe will make more frosting than you need for the cake
1 (8 ounce) package Cream Cheese, softened
3/4 cup Xylitol
2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
2 cups Heavy Cream
5 Tablespoons Cocoa Powder
5 oz. (1/2 Jar) Nature’s Hollow Sugar Free Mountain Berry Preserves
1. Heat oven to 350°F.
2. Grease and flour two 9 inch round cake pans.
3. In bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and sea salt with wire whisk. Set aside.
4. In mixer or separate bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
5. Beat in eggs, one at a time then add in vanilla and mix until completely combines.
6. Slowly add in flour mixture alternately with almond milk.
7. Allow to mix until batter is smooth.
8. Pour equal amounts of batter into the two cake pans.
9. Bake for 30-38 minutes.
10. Allow to cool before adding frosting.
1. Combine the cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla extract in a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer.
2. Fit the mixer with the whisk attachment and mix on medium speed until smooth.
3. Add in 5 tablespoons of cocoa powder
4. While the mixture is still whipping, slowly pour in the heavy cream.
5. Stop and scrape the bottom of the bowl a couple of times while whipping until the cream can hold a stiff peak.
1. Take one cooled 9 inch cake and place on serving plate.
2. Add thin layer of frosting to top of cake on the serving plate, this is the base layer.
3. Spoon Sugar Free Mountain Berry Preserves on top of frosted bottom layer and spread.
4. Invert second 9 inch cake on a separate plate to add thin layer of frosting to it’s bottom.
5. Place second 9 inch cake frosted side down on top of first 9 inch cake on the serving plate.
6. Frost rest of cake with desired amount of frosting, spread until smooth.
Mountain Berry Filling Ingredients:
Cake Assembly Instructions: